Birtsmorton on 2nd October 2022 – 150 yards straights; veterans 130 yards at ½yd/lb plus yd/yr
The weather forecast for the weekend did not bode well but for once it rained somewhere else and we were blessed with ideal racing conditions. The Saturday went well with helpers making light work of the set-up, even the marquee didn’t present a problem which is usually a Rubik’s Cube challenge for some of us. We had a running surface second to none, lush and green, some achievement this summer – Dave Hunter worked his magic to produce a Championship level surface – even the weather smiled on us.
On a more general note, hats off to club workers across the country who’ve had to contend with unparalleled ground conditions.
Dave & Lynn were fab hosts to those of us who stayed over Friday thru Sunday evening and we were treated to a home cooked meal with apple crumble to follow which was much appreciated after a long day on Sunday – thank you Lynn it was yummy.
It’s important to mention the helpers, both on the day officials and setting up, we couldn’t do it without you – Karen Bridge, Pat Gant & Lily, Dave & Lynn Hunter, Paul Thorpe, Gary Hogan, Vince Hart, Gavin and David Cairns, Dave Cuttler, Ruth Mabb, Paul Priest, Lynne Holmes and a special mention to Anne Williamson and Margaret Armstrong both of whom don’t have dogs to run but gave up their day to line judge for us – Thank You So Much. Please accept our apologies for anyone we may have missed.
From an excellent entry of 129, we had three new Whippet Club Racing Champions and one new Veteran Crown, congratulations to you all. On to the racing…
The 16lb group was unfortunately depleted by non-runners, giving Terry Wheeler’s WCRCh(s) Mamma Mia a solo for the first title of the day. After a rerun, Liz and Richard Villis’ WCRCh Ameesha Summer Rocket won the 18lb final by three lengths from the Rixons’ M’Lady En Rouge. Allan Parkhurst’s WCRCh Sweet Secret, heat winner then second to I Am The One in their semi, beat Jacqui Mullin’s game half-coat *London Girl a length to claim her third Champs weight class win in the 20lb group.
The 22lb weight class brought us the only new “half-coat” of the day, Daniel Bremner’s *On The Run going through heat, semi and final unbeaten, the Hunters’ WCRCh Tiana coming home runner up. Next race, the 24lb final, was one of a number of close finishes; we needed the video to unpick Dave & Lynn Hunter’s *Brontë and Jan & Toddy Todman’s WCRCh “O”Cean Everglo who’d won heat, quarter and semi plus suffering the only unintentional rerun of the day in his heat (they caught the lure halfway). It’s fair to say Bodhi earned his win! So near and yet so far for *Brontë, although she does have the bend Championships to come.
The 26lb group saw the culmination of a ‘purple patch’ for Vince and Sara Hart’s dog when WCRCh Scrappy Doo gained the much coveted “other half”, a year after winning his half-coat, beating the Gilfeather’s Mista T. Ruth Mabb’s WCRCh One For Arthur won his sixth Champs weight class in good fashion from Karen Bridge’s Glory Narah, a dog who’s taken time to find his feet but now Karen’s reaping the reward for her patience.
The 30lb final was won convincingly by Lynne & Alastair Holmes’ WCRCh Believe In Me – another one quietly adding to his weight class wins – beating Jo Lock’s Sea The Skies by a comfortable margin. Thanks Jo for stepping in to do the winner’s photos!
The 32lb group had a popular winner for the Baches’ WCRCh Daddy’s Boy. Narrowly beaten by Sean & Barbara Lee’s Selby Lad in his heat, he reversed the placings in the final to give Dennis & Pearl their first ever Racing Champion, they have had half-coats before but all dogged by bad luck.
This year we’ve had a longer-than-usual five-month gap after the 1st Veteran Crowns. The only new winner was Sarah Layfield’s VC *Winterfell Must Be Crazy in the 6-7yrs lightweights; she beat the Villis’ VC Ameesha Just A Breeze. Steve Miller’s VC Apache Gold beat Kevin Coe & Keeley Bradshaw’s high-class bend-racer WCRCh Twilight Twiggy to retain the middleweight Crown. Next race, kennelmate VC Wild Apache also defended successfully, beating Maggie and John Brearley’s WCRCh Feilly’s Gold (six years young on the Saturday) to win one of the toughest groups of the day. Well done Steve for the “double double”.
In the senior veterans, Sarah Layfield picked up a double of her own when VC Winterfell Merry Mayhem beat Garry Comber’s WCRCh VC Jett Black in the 14-20lb group. Christine & Mark’s inestimable WCRCh VC Ryamber Spring Fever took the middleweights from the Brearleys’ VC Riley’s Gold while the Cuttlers’ VC *Call Me Amazing, battle-hardened with so many tough weight class wins over the years, for once had a nice little solo to win the senior 26-32lb group.
A great day’s racing conducted in great spirit which is what our sport is all about.
Mark Etheridge reporting
All images courtesy of Jo Lock. Click/tap images for full version.
- WCRCh(s) MAMMA MIA (Selina Pearl Shooting Star – Wiltwojs Joni Glen x Selina Pearl Little Rosie). Owner: Terry Wheeler (time 10.83)
Heat Win: *Mamma Mia.
- WCRCh AMEESHA SUMMER ROCKET (Ameesha Indian Summer – Billy On Show x Ameesha Pure Spirit). Owner: Liz Villis (time 9.96)
- M’Lady En Rouge
- Mayan’s Dream
disq It’s A Joey.
Heat Wins: WCRCh Ameesha Summer Rocket, Mayan’s Dream, M’Lady En Rouge
Semi Finals: WCRCh Ameesha Summer Rocket, It’s A Joey
- WCRCh SWEET SECRET (Chalkners Sweet Destiny – Chalkners Secrets and Lies x Secret Smile at Chalkners). Owner: Allan Parkhurst (time 9.89)
- London Girl
- Apache Cheyenne
- I Am The One
Heat Wins: WCRCh Sweet Secret, *London Girl, Black Fairlane, Apache Cheyenne
Semi Finals: I Am The One, *London Girl
- *ON THE RUN (It’s All About Ria – Sri Tau Surprise x Goodad Bespoke Lady). Owner: Daniel Bremner (time 9.92)
- WCRCh Tiana
- WCRCh Glad All Over
- Bertie’s Gold
Heat Wins: Ryamber Stan The Man, Fun And Secrets, WCRCh Glad All Over, On The Run
Sem Finalis: WCRCh Glad All Over, On The Run
- WCRCh ”O”CEAN EVERGLO (Dreadlocked Raster – Freasley’s Archer x Truly Madly Deeply). Owners: Jan & Toddy Todman (time 9.76)
- Zama Go-Quick
- *Ryamber It’s Aw Reet
Heat Wins: She Was A Showgirl, Zama Go-Quick, *Brontë, Highlight Halo, WCRCh “O”cean Everglo, The Mighty Finn
Quarter Finals: Highlight Halo, *Brontë, Zama Go-Quick, WCRCh ”O”Cean Everglo
Semi Finals: Zama Go-Quick, WCRCh “O”cean Everglo
- WCRCh SCRAPPY DOO (Lowlake Cross My Heart – Red Ferrari x Medlarway Iridescents Pearl). Owner: Vince and Sara Hart (time 8.75)
- Mista T
- *Murphy’s Gold
- Final Attraction
Heat Wins: *Scrappy Doo, Mista T, *Tik Tok Tia, Final Attraction
Semi Finals: *Scrappy Doo, Mista T
- WCRCh ONE FOR ARTHUR (Goodad One For Arthur – Chalkners Go Getter x Bravepad Good Hope of Goodad). Owner: Ruth Mabb (time 10.04)
- Glory Narah
- “O” Fly On
- WCRCh Lovely Jubbly
Heat Wins: WCRCh One For Arthur, WCRCh Lovely Jubbly, Crom A Boo, “O” Fly On
Semi Finals: WCRCh One For Arthur, WCRCh Lovely Jubbly
- WCRCh BELIEVE IN ME (Stone Of Destiny – Star of Mountdillon x Goodad Chosen One). Owners: Alistair & Lynne Holmes (time 9.72).
- Sea The Skies
- Wellington Blu it Is
Heat Wins: WCRCh Believe In Me, Sea The Skies, Wellington Blu It Is
Semi Finals: WCRCh Believe In Me, Sea The Skies
- WCRCh DADDY’S BOY (Ryemeadows Jayan – Ryemeadows Figaro x Ryemeadows Zola). Owners: Pearl & Dennis Bache (time 13.43).
- Selby Lad
- Gimme Some Action
- Rising Sun
Heat Wins: Rising Sun, Gimme Some Action, Selby Lad.
Semi Finals: Selby Lad, *Daddy’s Boy.
- VC *WINTERFELL MUST BE CRAZY (Winterfellin Must Be Crazy – Winterfellin Tinkers Lad x Winterfellin Frosted Dawn). Owner: Sarah Layfield
- VC Ameesha Just A Breeze
Heat Wins: *Winterfell Must Be Crazy, VC Ameesha Just A Breeze
- VC APACHE GOLD (Toyah Flowing River – Billy On Show x Wheatroyd Running Wild). Owner: Steve Miller.
- WCRCh Twilight Twiggy
- Winterfell Let Me Loose
Heat Wins: Winterfell Let Me Loose, VC Apache Gold
- VC WILD APACHE (Blue Indian Warrior – Red Apache x Wheatroyd Running Wild). Owner: Steve Miller.
- WCRCh Feilly’s Gold
- The Quiet Man
- WCRCh Zola Go-Quick
Heat Wins: WCRCh Zola Go-Quick, *Speed Limit, VC Wild Apache, WCRCh Feilly’s Gold
Semi Finals: VC Wild Apache, WCRCh Feilly’s Gold
- VC WINTERFELL MERRY MAYHEM (Winterfellin Merry Mayhem – Winterfellin Tinkers Lad x Winterfellin Phoenix). Owner: Sarah Layfield.
- WCRCh VC Jett Black
- Mojo Risin’
- WCRCh VC Polly Flinders
Heat Wins: VC Winterfell Merry Mayhem, WCRCh VC Jett Black
- WCRCh VC RYAMBER SPRING FEVER (Ryamber A Moment In Time – One Of Us x Ryamber Blue Heaven). Owner: Christine Howard.
- VC Riley’s Gold
- Jessie J
Heat wins: VC Riley’s Gold, WCRCh VC Ryamber Spring Fever
- VC *CALL ME AMAZING (BlackPearl Of Hope – Run At Mill x Eddie’s Belle of the Ball). Owners: Dave & Carole Cuttler
Heat Win: VC *Call Me Amazing