Whippet Club Ch Show 5.4.14
My thanks to the committee for inviting me to judge and my two efficient stewards. I was very pleased with my final line up but I still find the main constructional problem is upper arms, incorrect length and angulation in relation to the scapula leads to poor front movement. My other area of concern was the number of very tight bites, verging on level. Other than that nails were, on the whole, trimmed and tidy and my hands were clean at the end of judging! I was more forgiving than usual of how well muscled dogs were, given the awful winter weather and knowing the difficulty I have had keeping my own Whippets fit but some were totally lacking muscletone and had no waistline at all, which is not acceptable.
SpVeteran 7 – 9 years (9, 1 abs)
- Keenan/Smith’s STORMBURST WINTER SPARKLES FOR CITYCROFT JW ShCM. 7 year old black brindle with flowing outline, stands naturally over a lot of ground. Lean head, long neck running into correct front. She stands on good legs and feet. Hind angulation matches her front allowing her to move soundly from all angles.
- Mason’s APHRAEL DAMHAN-ALLAIDH. Extreme white/brindle particolour 8 years old. Well made throughout with balanced outline. Not quite as scopey as the winner but I liked her top and underline. Moved well.
- Vaughan’s SHIROTAE SILKEN LADY
Sp Veteran 10+ years (5, 1 abs)
- Wilkinson’s MY BLACK LASS. Almost 11 years black, as her name implies! Lovely head and expression. Balanced in angulation front and rear, good spring of rib and correct length of loin although her croup slopes away rather sharply for my liking. Moved true. Best Veteran Bitch
- Burgess’ WELSTAR AS YOU LIKE IT AT MONELLI. Fawn bitch also just short of 11 years. Better for size than 1 and a good make and shape but just a little narrow all through for my liking. Moved well enough.
- Hills’ SHIMMEREE BLUE CHIFFON
Minor Puppy (16, 1 abs)
- Hills’ SHIMMEREE CHANTILLY LACE. 6 months black at her first show. I loved everything about her! Good head shape with correct bite, best of fronts with good fill, depth of brisket, length and spring of rib for her age. Well angulated behind with strong second thigh. Plenty of substance and shown in fit condition. Moved extremely well. Best puppy bitch and Best Puppy in Show
- Webber’s Diamond Web. 7 months brindle particolour. Lovely head and expression. Balanced outline with good angulation front and rear. Not as good in topline or spring of rib as the winner yet but she moves soundly and true. Two lovely puppies who stood out in this large class.
- Head’s DEMERLAY ENDLESS LOVE
Puppy (14, 2 abs)
- Baldwin/Campbell’s RUSHDEN WHAT’S YOURS IN MINE. Blue brindle, 10 months old. Pleasing head, overall balanced outline with good fill, depth and length. I liked her top and underline. Well angulated front and rear and moved soundly.
- Allen’s AZARIN CORSICA AT ZORADEN (Imp Pol). Fawn brindle particolour. Lovely size. Pretty head. Good layback of shoulder and return of upper arm. Deep brisket and good hind angulation. She didn’t move as freely in front as the winner but she is sound enough.
- Courtney’s COURTBIRCH SCARLET O’HARA
Junior (20, 5 abs)
- Rees/Jones’ KIERPARK SWEET CHILD OF MINE. Red brindle. Took my eye in this class and she didn’t disappoint once I had gone over her and watched her move. Lovely size and balanced all through. She has good fill, depth and length. Well angulated front and rear and moved true from all angles.
- Oliver’s SPYANFLY SAY I’M SEXY. Blue brindle. Another lovely bitch, similar in type to 1st but, for me, the winner just had slightly more substance and better width of second thigh. However, sound mover from all angles.
- Courtney’s SPYANFLY SAUCY SOCKS
Yearling (18, 7abs)
- Little/Grace/Twaddle’s SASILASY DAISY DARES YOU. Blue fawn brindle. Very feminine and correct sized. I liked her pretty head, flowing outline and balanced proportions. She moved soundly and well.
- Dufty/Morland’s TRIKEN DREAMS COME TRUE. Fawn brindle. Scopier than the winner and a little more angular. She had good depth, top and underline and moved well.
- Fisher’s MARLEBEN MYSTICAL MEDUSA
Maiden (17, 4 abs)
- Gillespie’s PENBRIAR DUCHESS. Attractive lemon brindle youngster. Pleasing head, well made throughout. Deep enough in brisket and presented a balanced outline. Moved true.
- Turnbull’s TURNSTONE MAMA MIA. Fawn puppy. Very feminine with long, gracefully arched neck, layback of shoulder OK but upper arm too steep which spoilt her outline for me. Fine coat and skin. Good topline and well angulated hindquarters. Moved OK
- Head’s DEMERLAY ENDLESS LOVE
Novice (9, 3 abs)
- KIERPARK SWEET CHILD OF MINE
- SPYANFLY SAUCY SOCKS. Blue brindle with white trim. Lovely head and expression. Well constructed throughout with good depth and length. Shown in fit condition. Moved well but just not as positive in front as the winner.
- Bayley’s ASHVILLEBUR AMARYLLIS
Undergraduate (11, 6 abs)
- Colclough’s APHRODITE LOVER OVER WILVER. Red brindle. Attractive feminine head. Lovely outline, she has good depth, balanced angulation and a correct topline. Moved well especially in profile.
- Davies’ PASHARIF PLAY MISTY FOR ME. Blue brindle. Very similar to winner, I just felt her outline did not flow as well but is good nevertheless. Sound mover.
- Wood’s ARDENCOTE SOLITAIRE
Post Graduate (18, 8 abs)
- Hunt’s LAVINIA LOVE. Not a true black, I am inclined to call her colour sable. Very elegant and attractive in a fine jacket. Lean head with long neck running into well laid shoulders. Deep brisket, correct spring of rib and length of loin. A little flat in topline and slightly upright in pastern for my liking. Well bent stifles. Shown in fit, muscled condition and sound on the move.
- Mason’s APHRAEL WHAT A PERFORMANCE. Fawn, more curvy in shape than the winner although not the scope. Balanced outline with good depth and better topline. Moved very well
- King’s DEMERLAY BROWN SUGAR AT DALEKO
Mid Limit (15, 3 abs)
- Rees/Jones’ KIERPARK DON’T STOP ME NOW ShCM. Red brindle. Good for size, flowing outline. Deep brisket, good angulation front and rear, strong second thigh. Easy sound mover.
- Yacoby-Wright’s COBYCO CHANCE TO DREAM. Blue brindle. Another lovely bitch, very similar in make and shape to the winner, slightly better slope of pastern and moved well. I am sure they will change placings on a regular basis!
- Short’s COLLOONEY WHOOPEE DO DORA JW
Limit (11, 1 abs)
- Grisoli’s Loroli Let’s Boogie. Feminine red brindle with a lovely head and expression, correct bite. Long neck flowing into the best of fronts, good fill and depth of brisket, spring of rib, correct length of loin and hindquarters angulated to match her front. Overall, an elegant balanced outline. Well muscled and moved correctly from all angles. CC & RBIS/BOS
- Hooper’s CHARUZIAN SAPPHIRE. Fawn brindle particolour. Very feminine, lovely expression. Curvy outline with good depth and length. Also shown in fit condition and moved soundly.
- Short’s COLLOONEY TARTAN TART
Open (14, 3 abs)
- Morris/Waddell/Green’s CROSSCOP COUNT ON ME JW. Dark blue brindle. Fabulous outline, she stands naturally over so much ground on the best of legs and feet. Not flashy but feminine and well constructed throughout which allows her to move excellently. Well muscled and fit. I just preferred the top and underline of the CC winner but was pleased to award her the RCC.
- Yacoby-Wright’s CH TYLKO COBYCO PARANOIA (Imp Pol). Red brindle. Good construction throughout and another sound, easy mover. Not the scope and elegance of the winner.
- Beckett-Hughes’ CH COLLOONEY RAVISHING RITA OF MULRANNY JW