The Whippet Meadow, Detling over 240 yards bends
and also – Superstars Veteran Sprint – 110 yards straights at ½yd/lb & yd/yr
Whilst the rain on Saturday wasn’t conducive for setting up the track, the helpers having to take cover under the marquee and paddock tent, it did provide for an excellent racing surface.
Fine sunny weather dawned on Sunday and made for good, safe racing – fantastic new running rails throughout which look brilliant, this racecourse has seen vast improvement in the first two years here.
Well done to Ray and his team for a professional and well-run day’s racing in good spirit with the lure driver and trap team working after the finals to run straight and bend trials. Special thanks to Ruth, Sheila, Caz and Kim for Whippies Café’s refreshments through the year – much appreciated.
Today was one of those rare Championships when no new Racing Champions were “made up”, seven current title-holders defended and well done too to Zola Go-Quick and Markamy’s Son And Air for achieving their half-coats.
The 16lb group was a solo run for WCRCh Sapphire’s Peridot. The 18lb group was won by the top-class WCRCh Ameesha Little Ebs. The runner-up WCRCh Jett Black did absolutely nothing wrong – he led from the traps and railed perfectly like the bend-racer he is, only for the winner to cap him by accelerating into the first bend (not many whippets can do that) and sweeping into a lead to win the weight group. This bitch has given the Villis’s a great season’s racing and they must be very proud.
WCRCh Sapphire’s Queen’s Pearl was the middle leg of another Angie Parker treble in the 20lb final, half-coat Satin Secret chasing her home, and the third leg was WCRCh Sapphire’s Ruby Queen winning a high-class 22lb weight group. On yard/pound handicap this was the fastest of all the finals, a yard faster than the 18-pounders; terrific efforts too from Dizzy Rascal was second all day, Mojo Risin’ third also winning the Fastest Time Rosette with a 15.09 in his heat, and fourth WCRCh Polly Flinders who surely has nothing more to prove, a wonderful racer.
The Hunters’ young Zola Go-Quick, dam and sire both top bend-racers has been improving steadily all season as she matures and won a tough-fought 24lb final by half a length from another proper bend-runner WCRCh Satin Sunshine. WCRCh Ryamber Something Extra, contending for the bitch Superstars title, was way out of luck in her heat with a fall going into the bend; she did well to finish as she’d lost about thirty lengths picking herself up and it was nice that she was reported okay afterwards, here’s hoping it stays that way. No such drama in the 26lb group, a solo for Markamy’s Son And Air while WCRCh Scallywag was an impressive winner of the 28lb final.
The heat times for the 30lb weight class suggested that WCRCh Nip ‘N Tuck had two lengths in hand over the half-coat Gunna Be A Devil; in the final they reproduced that running almost to the inch with WCRCh Nip ‘N Tuck gaining two yards early and he kept that lead the rest of the way, a taut two-length win making it a win double for Pat Gant. The bend-racing was completed with a solo run for the splendid heavyweight WCRCh Markamy’s Red Fred.
The Superstars Veteran Sprint was extended to four weight classes this time around, and run over 110 yards due to safety reasons; the veterans again gave us some exciting finishes and surprising a few owners by making up ground against the handicap. Sarah Layfield’s Winterfell Hellfire won the 20lb weight class, VC Raffles a popular winner of the 23lb, Satin Sings the 26lb and in the last race of the day WCRCh Markamy’s Black Bentley giving Dave and Sandra Bursey a treble by winning the heavyweights.
Report by Mark Etheridge.
4th WCRA Championships 2016 results
- Sapphire’s Peridot (Chalkners Flaming Arrow x Sunlay Sapphire’s Gem) Owner: A. Parker. Time: 16.24
- WCRCh Ameesha Little Ebs (Busby Babe x Stokecourcy Hazel at Ameesha) Owner: E. Villis. Time: 15.77
- WCRCh Jett Black
- Ameesha Just a Breeze
- Ameesha Red Rascal
- WCRCh Sapphire’s Queen’s Pearl (Busby Babe x Sunlay Queen’s Topaz) Owner: A. parker. Time: 16.20
- *Satin Secret
- Cairdean Pipsqueak
- WCRCh Sapphire’s Ruby Queen (Busby Babe x Sunlay Queen’s Topaz) Owner: A. parker. Time: 15.44
- Dizzy Rascal
- Mojo Risin’
- WCRCh Polly Flinders
- *Zola Go-Quick (Wagtail Flash In The Pan x Matchington Zula of Ryemeadows) Owners; D & L Hunter. Time: 15.87
- WCRCh Satin Sunshine
- WCRCh The Poet
- Quick as a Flash
- *Markamy’s Son and Air (Goodad Special Duty x Running in the Family at Ryamber) Owners: D & S Bursey. Time: 15.70
- WCRCh Scallywag (Drawn To Me x Carlstream Popstar) Owner: P. Gant. Time: 15.48
- *Ryamber Fairy Nuff
- Our Boy Ace
- Winterfell Crazy Laydee
- WCRCh Nip ‘N Tuck (Chalkners Flaming Arrow x Goodad Star Addition) Owner: P. Gant. Time: 15.64
- *Gunna be a Devil
- WCRCh Markamy’s Red Fred (Chalkners Flaming Arrow x Goodad Star Addition) Owners: D & S Bursey. Time: 15.40
WCRA Superstars Veteran Sprint results
6-9 yrs 14-20lb
- Winterfell Hell Fire (Busby Babe x Winterfell Tinkerbell) Owner: S. Layfield
- VC Pretty Color
- Cairdean Yoshimi
6-9 yrs 21-23lb
- VC Raffles (Karyon Ring of Fire x Sunset Promise) Owner: I. German
- Guye’s Goldilocks
- Stripey Nancy
6-9 yrs 24-26lb
- Satin Sings (Sunlay Theatre of Dreams x Goodad Chic of Carlstream) Owners: D & C Brown
6-9 yrs 27-32lb
- WCRCh Markamy’s Black Bentley (Bethnal Green Boy x Goodad Suits Me) Owners: D & S Bursey
- Markamy’s Marley
- Winterfell Afra Must Dash
- Satin Star